The Evolution of MAN.
MAN is one of the oldest leading industrial enterprises in the German engineering industry.
In 1893, the pioneering engineer Rudolph Diesel began developing the principles of the compression ignition combustion engine that would later be named after him. Construction and testing of the first Diesel engine was carried out at the MAN Augsburg works.
In 1898, four engines were built for exhibition and demonstration purposes, two of which were made in the MAN plants at Nuremberg and Augsburg. Over one hundred years later the diesel engine powers the majority of heavy vehicles globally. And MAN continues to produce vehicles that are amongst the most technologically advanced in the world.
In 1971 MAN acquired the old and respected name of Bussing, and the Bussing trade-mark lion now forms part of the MAN truck and bus division trademark.
MAN Truck & Bus AG, headquartered in Munich, Germany, is the largest company of the MAN Group and a leading international supplier of efficient commercial vehicles and innovative transport solutions. In fiscal 2011 the enterprise, with around 34,000 employees, posted sales of more than 77,600 trucks and over 5,700 buses and bus chassis of the MAN and NEOPLAN brands worth 9 billion euros.
In 2000 Western Star Trucks Australia acquired distribution exclusivity for all MAN products within Australia and New Zealand, creating MAN Automotive Imports. This acquisition led to the merging of Western Star Trucks Australia and MAN Automotive Imports, with sales and after sales support services for both product ranges conducted out of the WSTA/MAI Asia Pacific Headquarters located in Brisbane, Queensland.
MAN Automotive Imports New Zealand has a head office and parts distribution centre located in Wiri, Auckland and sales and after sales service is provided throughout New Zealand via 15 separate dealer outlets, each dedicated to MAN’s longevity in the New Zealand marketplace.